7/06/2011

It's time for Sangakkara's class to recall Martin Niemoller's poem over the right of free speech

Sri Lanka Cricket announced that the Minister of Sports Mahindananda Aluthgamage directed the new Chairman of Sri Lanka Cricket Interim Committee Jayantha Dharmadasa to express his views on the content of ex-captain Kumara Sangakkara's 2011 MCC Spirit of Cricket Cowdrey Lecture.

The Minister has directed the Sri Lanka Cricket interim Chairman to look into if Sangakkara's criticism on the Sri Lanka cricket administration amounted breach of sports law of the country.

Stating "In Sri Lanka, cricket and politics have been synonymous", Sangakkara went on to say "After 1996 the cricket board has been controlled and administered by a handful of well-meaning individuals either personally or by proxy rotated in and out depending on appointment or election. Unfortunately to consolidate and perpetuate their power they opened the door of the administration to partisan cronies that would lead to corruption and wonton waste of cricket board finances and resources.

"It was and still is confusing. Accusations of vote buying and rigging, player interference due to lobbying from each side and even violence at the AGMs, including the brandishing of weapons and ugly fist fights, have characterised cricket board elections for as long as I can remember.

"The team lost the buffer between itself and the cricket administration. Players had become used to approaching members in power directly trading favours for mutual benefits and by 1999 all these changes in administration and player attitudes had transformed what was a close knit unit in 1996 into a collection of individuals with no shared vision or sense of team."

Sangakkara further says, "We have to aspire to better administration. The administration needs to adopt the same values enshrined by the team over the years: integrity, transparency, commitment and discipline.

"Unless the administration is capable of becoming more professional, forward-thinking and transparent then we risk alienating the common man. Indeed, this is already happening. Loyal fans are becoming increasingly disillusioned. This is very dangerous because it is not the administrators or players that sustain the game– it is the cricket-loving public. It is their passion that powers cricket and if they turn their backs on cricket then the whole system will come crashing down.

"The solution to this may be the ICC taking a stand to suspend member boards with any direct detrimental political interference and allegations of corruption and mismanagement. This will negate the ability to field representative teams or receive funding and other accompanying benefits from the ICC. But as a Sri Lankan I hope we have the strength to find the answers ourselves."

Daily Telegraph that posted the full speech delivered by Sangakkara quoted, "Kumar Sangakkara delivered an exceptional speech in his 2011MCC Spirit of Cricket Cowdrey Lecture, touching on the history, culture and opportunties for Sri Lankan cricket as well a moving recounting of the terrorist attack on their team bus in Pakistan."

Martin Niemoller's poem we mentioned in the topic is as follows:

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

This is what Wikipedia says about Martin Niemoller:


Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984) was a German anti-Nazi theologian[1] and Lutheran pastor. He is best known as the author of the poem First they came....
Although he was a national conservative and initially a supporter of Adolf Hitler,[2] he became one of the founders of the Confessional Church, which opposed the nazification of German Protestant churches. He vehemently opposed the Nazis' Aryan Paragraph,[3] but made remarks about Jews that some scholars have called antisemitic.[4] For his opposition to the Nazis' state control of the churches, Niemöller was imprisoned in Sachsenhausen andDachau concentration camps from 1937 to 1945.[5][6] He narrowly escaped execution and survived imprisonment.[7] 

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark, remember and visit us again: www.lankapolity.com

12 comments:

  1. Sports minister's reaction to Sanga's speech again proved Sanga's point that there is too much political interference in Sri Lankan cricket. If Sports minister was a clever and intelligent person, he would have just kept quiet allowing Sanga's employers to deal with it if they deemed appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Kudos!

    Feel free to visit my blog post: quadrille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the good writeup. It if truth be told used to be a amusement account
    it. Look complicated to more introduced agreeable from you!
    However, how can we keep in touch?

    Also visit my web blog; kickoff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite certain I'll learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

    my web page :: http://thehotline.conceptproductionz.com/member-directory/melvinano/profile/public/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.

    I've joined your feed and sit up for in the hunt for more of your magnificent post. Also, I've shared your web site in my social networks

    My website ... http://www.kuailequn.com/IndiraCra

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's up to all, the contents present at this web page are truly remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

    My web blog :: montreuil

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rarely comment, but i did some searching and wound up here "It's time for Sangakkara's class to recall Martin Niemoller's poem over the right of free speech".
    And I do have some questions for you if you usually do not mind.
    Is it only me or does it seem like some of these responses come across like written by
    brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing at
    additional online social sites, I'd like to follow anything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list of all of all your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

    Have a look at my site; ghetto

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to offer something back and aid others like you aided me.

    my web-site - lomaraha :: ::

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of
    your site is excellent, let alone the content!

    my website ... vicdoms

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is
    magnificent, let alone the content!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site ... lattie ()

    ReplyDelete
  11. My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the
    expenses. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on a number of websites for about a year and am
    nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can
    import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!


    Feel free to surf to my web site; company ()

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to no backup.

    Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

    My web site: durbin

    ReplyDelete

 
Powered by Blogger