5/19/2011

Why military style leadership training for university students of Sri Lanka?

(May 19, 2011,  Lanka PolitySri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa will inaugurate the so called 'leadership and positive attitude training course' of the new intake of university students on May 23.

The Ministry of Higher Education has made this course compulsory for the students. One who fails to follow this course without valid reason cannot enter into a university to follow a formal course. This condition appears to be a violation of human rights and definitely it will be raised in the courts, if enacted as per what is meant by the calling letter for this course.

The ceremonial inauguration will be held with the participation of the 10,000 students that are to be taken in for the training as the first group of the batch. All 20,000 students of the 2011 batch are to be trained under the programme.

They will be provided training at 28 training centers under the Defense Ministry. The duration of the training course is three weeks.

The authorities have not clearly indicated why the Ministry of Higher Education opted to the military to provide leadership training while the university system had better teachers for such course. The university teachers' associations that have focused their attention primarily to the salary issue for which they are struggling keep mum regarding this training.

The Minister of Higher Education S.B. Disanayaka said that the programme was not a military training although it would be held in military camps. The male and female students are provided with separate lodgings in hostels and the Ministry has taken steps to guarantee the security of the students, he says.

The military style training of the university students seem to be also a post-war situation. The massive military machine that was created for the war with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Ealam (LTTE) may be idling without meaningful tasks to their caliber. That can be one reason the government wants them to be engaged in a task like this that can earn them back a kind of respect from an elite section of the society. It is true that the military machine absorbed a good portion of the highly skilled labor of the country. Therefore, the military may adapt to the new responsibilities.

Certain sections of the polity, especially the leftists, argue that this is another move of the government to militarize the society. However, the argument inherits the counter argument itself since the move can also be a measure to demilitarize Army through actions by which they are made to engage more in non-military activities.

Yet one thing is crystal clear. A country cannot be militarized when military has no powerful enemy to engage in a war.

This can be another poor perception of the education authorities of Sri Lanka who still think that all university students are JVP members. They wonder how the JVP recruits them and think that it is done through the brainwashing conducted in ragging. Then the higher education authorities seem to take the ragging and brainwashing to their hand. The Hon. Minister of Higher Education has told that the leadership training is an action to stop ragging in universities.

The standards of the university education system in Sri Lanka is deteriorating rapidly according to some academics. Will this so called leadership training speed it up? Perhaps, this can be the intention of the government that is promoting pay universities or the private universities. The parents that do not like military style leadership training will be able to send their children to private universities when they are opened.

Leadership training is not a basic requirement to enter the private universities. Are they not making leaders?

Leaders are the people like S.B. Disanayaka, Hon. Minister of Higher Education who changes parties time to time to cling to leadership. He was once in fame of building a massive mansion in Hanguranketha. The house was named by state media under Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumarathunga as Samurdhi Mahal since the Minister held the post of Minister of Samurdhi (Poverty Alleviation). The Minister was also jailed for two years by Supreme Court for contempt of court. Later he was pardoned by the President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Bookmark and Share
Bookmark, remember and visit us again: www.lankapolity.com

10 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!
    Very helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such
    information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time.
    Thank you and good luck.

    Have a look at my webpage; Eprofit Academy Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard
    work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to prevent
    hackers?

    My web-site applestemcellserum.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a
    comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Cheers!

    Here is my webpage :: Buy Test Force Xtreme

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoah this blog is magnificent i love reading your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You know, a lot of people are searching around for this information,
    you could aid them greatly.

    my site ... Buy Le Parfait

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I simply just say what a relief to uncover a person that really
    knows what they are talking about on the web.
    You actually know how to bring an issue to light and make
    it important. More people should check this out and understand this side
    of the story. I was surprised you are not more popular since you certainly have the gift.


    Feel free to visit my website muscle enhancers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this web site before but after browsing through many of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I discovered it and I'll be bookmarking it and
    checking back regularly!

    Feel free to visit my web site raspberry ketone

    ReplyDelete
  7. My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on
    a number of websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform.
    I have heard excellent things about blogengine.

    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

    Also visit my web page; Vapor reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. After exploring a few of the blog articles on your web site, I truly appreciate your
    way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be
    checking back soon. Take a look at my website too and tell me what you think.


    my website ... Buy Muscle Rev Xtreme

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I understand this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does building a well-established blog such as yours
    take a large amount of work? I am brand new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary everyday.

    I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

    my web page - Le parfait wrinkle cream

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts
    as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
    My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would definitely benefit from a lot of the information you present here.

    Please let me know if this ok with you. Regards!

    Also visit my homepage: Order Xtrasize

    ReplyDelete

 
Powered by Blogger